Texas offers some of the best fishing opportunities in the country. Here’s how to quickly and conveniently purchase your Texas fishing license online to make the most of it.
Why You Need a Texas Fishing License: If you’re 16 years or older and plan to fish in the public waters of Texas, a valid Texas fishing license is a requirement. It permits you to use various legal fishing methods, from rod and reel to bow fishing.
In some cases, you might need specific endorsements, including a freshwater fishing endorsement for inland waters and a saltwater fishing endorsement for coastal areas.
Fishing License Exemptions: Some individuals are exempt from the Texas fishing license requirement, such as visitors to state parks, those fishing in private waters, and residents born before January 1, 1931. The exemptions also extend to individuals fishing as part of medically approved therapy or under the supervision of a licensed angler. Additionally, there’s a state-designated free fishing day.
Types of Fishing Licenses and Fees: Whether a Texas resident or a visitor, you have various options for obtaining a Texas fishing license. Please note that a Texas resident has lived continuously in Texas for more than six months immediately before purchasing a license.
- Texas Resident Freshwater Fishing License Package: $30
- Texas Resident Senior Freshwater Fishing License Package (65+): $12
- Non-resident Freshwater Texas Fishing License Package: $58
- Texas Resident Saltwater Fishing License Package: $35
- Texas Resident Senior Saltwater Fishing License Package (65+): $17
- Non-resident Saltwater Texas Fishing License Package: $63
You also have the option to purchase an all-water package that includes both a license and both freshwater and saltwater endorsements. These packages are available from the date of sale until August 31, the end of the Texas license year.
For Texas residents, a lifetime fishing license package is available, including both endorsements, at a cost of $1,000.
It’s worth mentioning that all fees from license sales support conservation efforts, making Texas one of the best places in the country to fish.
Where to Buy Your Fishing License: You have three convenient options for purchasing your Texas fishing license:
- Purchase Online: Buy your Texas fishing license through the Texas Parks and Wildlife website.
- Order Over the Phone: Call (800) 895-4248 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Buy at a Texas Fishing License Retailer: Choose from 1,800 approved vendors near you. Locate a vendor using the Texas Parks and Wildlife website.
Remember, once you have your Texas fishing license, it’s essential to carry it with you while fishing, have a digital image on your phone, or provide proof of purchase from within the “Outdoor Annual” mobile app.